Bike Train


Some mornings I drive another persons car to get kids to school. I know, I should have them bike but this becomes pretty complicated having other kids take our route when they are not used to biking on the road. Biking on the road is natural for our kid and doesn't faze her at all.

We walk to the carpool which is not that close but gives us time to talk and get morning fresh air. If my kid was just picked up from the house I doubt her day would go well. The morning walk is invigorating  despite any cold or rain.

After dropping off the kids I sometimes do errands but most of the time I return the car and then walk back home. Since we have been in this carpool arrangement I have met up with the Bike Train from Graham Hill Elementary. They bike in every single weather condition. In the colder season the kids were real troopers and biked up that monster hill on 51st Ave. S

Usually the adult supervision is a lady. I have never talked to her because they are working on that hill but today a dad was leading the train on his xtracycled bike. He first peddled past me on Mead and then turned to regroup with the kids he was leading. That hill on Mead was pretty monstrous and his daughter was doing a little dance while he was trying to make his way up. I stopped to talk to him a bit, while everyone re-energized before making up towards Graham Hill.

Looks like as the weather gets better the group gets bigger. A new kid to the group huffed and said to a girl, "I am already tired". Good for him and his parents for allowing him to commute to school like this.

This group is very inspirational to me and I would love to one day get my carpool biking those ten miles to school.

In the meantime, I am working on it.

Comments

  1. "We walk to the carpool which is not that close but gives us time to talk and get morning fresh air. If my kid was just picked up from the house I doubt her day would go well. The morning walk is invigorating despite any cold or rain."
    So true. When my son really needs extra snuggling he insists on the bus since we can't really talk on the bike. Wish we could walk - that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We stopped doing that carpool thing. We now take the bus until my new bike rolls in. The bus can be really interesting especially when kids need a story to write about.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kidical Mass: Central District Greenway/Visit Electric Lady

Kidical Mass South Seattle: Destination Jefferson Park

FREE Bike Kidical Mass/Picnic/Family Bike Expo