Mercer Island at Night or A great place to get murdered

Hello cheesy goodness!

We ran out of cheese and panic set in around the house. This meant that Baby Peyos was left with Mr. Peyos at home while I raced across the I-90 to fulfill our need for cheesy goodness. I waited until the last possible moment when it is questionable if you need bike lights or not. I made my way across the lovely I-90 bridge and based on all our other adventures you know that I am required to make this trip because other people have vertigo. The bike ride to the island was uneventful and I mostly encountered people who were commuting. Not one person with a spandex wedge, sigh.

I bought my load of lots of beer, cheese, gefilte fish and other stuff and made my way home. What happened? Someone turned off the lights! It was so dark. The park on the island has zero lights. As bright as my lights are, they don't light up everything. It is so interesting how many people walk on the path alone in the dark. Why? Who are you? I had no time to do a full out interview. How dark was it? Close your eyes. That is now dark it was.

I wasn't even Burke Gilman dark, it was close your eyes and hope you don't fall into Lake Washington dark. Let's compare.

This is Burke Gilman dark, scary but not this dark.
This was winter after watching Frozen in Ballard.. let it go, let it go..

So many interesting people were walking alone along the Mercer Island paths. In my head I could hear the music for Dateline and visualizing the newspaper article, "mysterious cargo bike found with cheese and beer, mother missing". I think I watched too many episodes of Dateline murder cases that happened to be in Washington state. Why are all the crazy people from here? I read about the Green River murders and then I moved to Washington and thought, "NO WAY am I biking there alone!" So, my fear was a fantasy I created. I did bike by lots of strange people though, just kinda walking in the dark. One guy had a flashlight and flashed it in my face. Hi there. After carefully wisking myself through the dark to the bridge did I feel confident enough to stop to take a picture. I forgot my other camera which hangs at my neck. I was required to stop and shoot. 


This is what the pedestrian bike bridge looks like at night. It looks pretty right! This was the easy part. Nobody biked towards me or passed me. Once I reached Seattle I had to make a real safety decision, bike through a not so nice crime area, the kind of place where I might get shot in the butt. Yes, I said shot in the butt. It so happens that the crimals with guns are not going to the gun range and fine crafting their shooting skills so most people just get a butt bullet. I decided that Lake Washington was faster and not butt bullets. 

The weird part about biking in the dark in fall is coming past all those leaves. Once they woosh past you it sounds like someone is on your tail. I did many second looks behind me just to see if someone was drafting or behind me. 

This is what the other side of the bridge looks like once you are in Seattle. See those lights? That is Mercer Island. 

Lake Washington wasn't that bad but I didn't realize that I had less lights on the back of the bike. Once spring hit I took lights off because I would be riding in more daylight.  I made my way up the monster hill and down into Lake Washington carefully. The rest of the bike ride was just me. It is kinda crazy to think that at 8pm the street is still ad nobody is around.

This is me coming out of Lake Washington on to a street with people and not million dollar houses. Still pretty dark, right! The rest of the ride was dullsville but I made it home to feed the baby and go to sleep.  We have 3 more months until the baby is bikable and everyone will be happier when we reach that point. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kidical Mass: Central District Greenway/Visit Electric Lady

Cargo Bikes on Sound Transit: Not so fast

Rainier Ave: The best place to crash your car into buildings