Portland as Pedestrians

Wonderful views of Portland walking
We bike, you know!! Did you also know that we use are legs and feet to get around too? This is why I drink the Seattle Neighborhood Greenways Cool Aid! I want safer streets for walking too. While biking works very well for us we like to walk. Our kids are good walkers and the older kid has friends who see walking and biking as way to get around the city. So, we have done well. I'm still waiting for teen bike rejection syndrome to set in.

Yum, doors taste good. 
So, what do we to do for fun? We went to Portland for a few days on vacation in December.
We choose our vacations at times when nobody thinks to travel, right after Chanukah. As the great walkers we walked to the Light Rail to catch the Amtrak train. Why didn't we take our bikes? Amtrak is not a position where cargo bikes are allowed on the train. Space doesn't allow longer/weird bikes. That's a battle for another time. My Edgerunner could fit in the bottom of a Bolt bus bus I tried busing to Portland already and it was not for me.


We arrived at the train station too early and with enough time to let the toddler loose all over the station waiting area. We even bought things from the vending machine, fancy. I chased him all over the place and he found the doors especially yummy. My kids experience the world by putting their mouths on stuff. It's so gross and it's hard to stop.


The toddler found the train travel the best experience ever. I have issues with motion sickness so I really wanted to minimize that. Luckily, nobody was seated behind us so he took a good nap. For our family, train travel requires 6 seats, hahah.

We hopped on the MAX train to our destination, Killingsworth Station. I know, why so north? For the second year in a row we decided to lodge at Caravan. You know, the tiny house hotel on NE Alberta. We walked from the station all the way, approximately 1.7 miles. Mr. Peyos and I were prepared with our backpack luggage but the tween decided on the rolling luggage which was so noisy for that whole walk. Here we come.. rumble rumble. After the whole experience she learned that she wants a backpack for her belongings. Rolling anything is annoying after all. Tweens don't believe anything until they realize how miserable it is. Whatever!

Here are some pictures where I decided we needed to break up the monotony of the rolling suitcase.
These are everywhere. I hate you.
I'm pretty sure they are semi translucent. It's not art, just pinche-way-finding

2 nights of tiny living: 
My luxurious view from the bottom bunk
I did not exactly anticipate the toddler deciding that the interior of the tiny house was one little jungle gym. The tween decided that the bunk bed was too uncivilized for her coolness and I was too scared to sleep in a loft with a child who is willing to climb anything. This left Mr. Peyos and all 6'4 of his body on the top bunk and me and Baby Peyos on the bottom bunk. It was not even fun managing him.

I plan to re-purpose my bike junk and make these.

The first night he slept sooner than later. The next morning we took a morning walk while waiting for Mr. Peyos to daven. He walked and walked but when we got near a bike shop, toddler tantrum! It was morning Community Cycling Center was setting up shop and my kid was screaming, "BIKE!!" This is what happens when biking is more fun than walking. That place is HUGE and awesome.

We sat in the cold in this parklet. 
We walked pretty far and Baby Peyos touched everything that was on the street. By the time we got back to the indoor jungle gym he proceeded to pick at the ladder. We discovered he was able to lift it off the resting spot. Evasive action! My family makes fun of all the stuff I carry around because, you never know. I happened to have two old inner tubes.


Stop making fun of my backpack junk! It worked to secure the ladder from being dismounted. We walked back to the LightRail and to our Powell's destination.

The older kid wanted a bagel which was disappointing. It's not even worth writing about the place. I'm sorry your hipster skinny jeans kept you from having any sense of humor, guy at bagel shop.

Oh oh oh, but the best part! A lady thought I was going to steal her purse. Was it because I was brown?  It rarely happens but this was one of those times that I though, "what just happened?". While Mr. Peyos was paying for our subquality bagels I was standing and reading the teudah, the kosher certificate. A woman was sitting at the eating counter with her purse at a chair right next to me. I must have scared her so badly she promptly removed her purse and held it for dear life. I said, "Lady, I have no interest in stealing your ugly purse". Mr. Peyos said he was never going there again. NEVER!
"Car...rooom..rooom..boom"

This was quickly remedied by the walk to Powell's. Of course we had to walk on Couch street. Did you know it is not pronounced like the word for a piece of furniture. Instead you have to channel your inner Charro and call it "Cooch" street. Coochie Coochie Coo.
Hey, we bought a book about trucks. 
Portland is so wonderful to walk around. It's so flat we laugh. My daughter ultimately regretted that I did not figure out bike rental so she REALLY REALLY wants to bike in a place that does not require she bike up 6-9% grade roads. I tried it on my own and hopefully we can do this trip with bikes. Mr. Peyos likes walking more than biking but after this last trip I think he realized travel is much better when we can plop Baby Peyos on a bike and let him do his thing. What's his thing? Throwing crackers off the bike.

Overall, we had a nice time walking. It was a very mild trip and not too much to report.


We did go and get beer. Actually, Mr. Peyos got the beer and we waited outside contemplating this bike. He bought so much beer we had to bring it home to Seattle. So much suffering. 


Here is our tiny house we stayed in this time. Hopefully Baby Peyos is mature enough to not try to jump off of every surface. This is the view from the loft. Living, dining, and overall great space for a toddler to jump from. NO.


I love staying here but after this trip I think we would need two of these just to be comfortable. 









Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Kidical Mass: Central District Greenway/Visit Electric Lady

FREE Bike Kidical Mass/Picnic/Family Bike Expo

Oh Rainier! #DemandMore