Cargo Bikes vs Sound Transit Bike Cage

In the interest of research I met with a Sound Transit representative to look at how cargo bikes might fit in the bike cage. Currently the only bike cage is located at the Beacon Hill light rail station. More secured bike parking interest me. Currently a space cost $50/year which is not a lot but would it be worth it? Luckily before paying for a space I got to bring a bike to test. I picked my monster bike, my glorious Metrofiets.


The Door:
Ideally I would need zero obstructions to get to the door. I want to roll the bike straight. I think it's possible.

Move the bike lockers!

I can not reach the door, my bike is too long
See, it's a tight space. Then comes the issue of trying to open the door. The truth is, I can't. I can only imagine I would find something to prop it open because it is NOT EASY with this bike. I tested before my ST friend arrived. It only resulted with me wedging myself in a weird way. 

Let's go inside. Once I rolled in I had to try to make a 3 point turn with the bike. Just so you get an idea, my bike is close to 10 feet LONG!  This is not a lifting over your head kind of bike. Okay, so I backed into the designated space, boop... boop... boop... (thought you needed sound effects).

This space would only be able to hold one bike, I bumped my sholder on the rack above which means if their was a bike on top I would probably wack myself into bike parts. The top rack should not have anything there if this is to be a space for cargo bikes. 


Locking the bike was not easy. I have 2 locks I carry with me. The snake like ABUS lock was the winner, although a longer Bordo Abus could have done the job. Of course I want to lock my bike to the thickest metal but was only able to lock it to the thinnest part. Can you see it, close to the floor? Due to my box I could not move the bike any closer. How many ways can you steal my bike in a bike cage?


I did it! Can you see my toddler asleep, poor guy. Since cargo bike are prohibited from getting on the choo choo would you pay $50 for a spot at other light rail cages, once they are built? I have seen cargo bikes parked at the UW light rail station but how long do they leave their bikes? When we bike to the Columbia City light rail I lock my bike at BikeWorks because I saw a rack turned over once. If that is possible at Othello whee this happened, then it's possible at Columbia City. No thank you. I will not lock my bike to that.

The bike cage is WAY more secure than this.

Email Sound Transit and let them know if you want to park your bike in future bike cages: bicycles@soundtransit.org





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kidical Mass: Central District Greenway/Visit Electric Lady

Kidical Mass South Seattle: Destination Jefferson Park

FREE Bike Kidical Mass/Picnic/Family Bike Expo